Facts & Statistics:
Languages: Standard Chinese (Mandarin/Putonghua) [Official language], Yue (Cantonese), Wu (Shanghaiese), Minbei (Fuzhou), Minnan (Hokkien-Taiwanese), Xiang, Gan, Hakka dialects, minority languages
● While the Great Wall of China is typically included in the Seven Wonders of the Medieval World.
● The Great Wall of China is the longest man-made structure in the world. On April 18 in 2009, the length of the Great Wall of Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) was announced after a full investigation.
● Long ago, silk making was a closely guarded secret. Anyone who gave the secret away could be killed.
● China has the world’s largest population making up 20% of the earth’s population. China’s population is four times that of the United States.
● In the Yunnan province Cormorant fisherman get their name from using trained cormorant birds to catch the fish for them.
● China is often considered the longest continuous civilization, with some historians marking 6000 B.C. as the dawn of Chinese civilization.
● Giant Pandas (“bear cat”) date back two to three million years. The early Chinese emperors kept pandas to ward off evil spirits and natural disasters.
● The 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing were the most expensive games in history. While the 2004 Athens Games were estimated to cost around $15 billion, the Beijing Games were estimated to cost a whopping $40 billion.
MG Tour Co - 10073 Valley View #232 - Cypress, CA - 90630 – USA CST#2066599-40
Phone: (714) 220-2579 Toll Free: (866) 225-0577 Fax: (714) 276-6447 Terms & Conditions